Saturday, August 16, 2008

Engrish

I learned 2 Japanese words today:

1. Chococro. (or ChococLo, if you prefer). Can you guess from this picture what it is?
Yes, of course, it's a CHOcolate CROissant! After 2 months in Japan, I should have been able to figure it out. But I admit, that I did not.

The construction is very Japanese. In the next lesson we will learn about pasokon, digicame, combini, depato, and depachika.


2. Hamegg:
You could argue that it's similar to Chococro, at least from the standpoint of linguistics. What's funny is that Japanese people are certain that 'hamegg' is the Western (American?) breakfast staple. And that it's called, of course, hamegg. Megumi was shocked that I had no idea what she was talking about. But I found a picture online:


Of course, it's a hamegg, what else could it be?

1 comment:

dimdym said...

It's time for English to start borrowing words back from Japanese.