Saturday, August 23, 2008

Best Tokyo moments

As my Tokyo gig is coming to its end (leaving tomorrow for a 2-day trip to Nikko with my parents, who are now visiting Japan, and then traveling for a few more days by myself, before returning to the US), I'd like to post about a few of my favorite moments this summer:

Now (actually 6 days ago; somehow I couldn't find the time to post between now and then):
I'm loving this exact moment. It's raining hard again, with thunder and lightning fighting for who comes first. Which makes me so happily stuck at home. No longer a tourist, needing to be out and about every work-free minute in Japan. Just happy to be chilling in my once-seeming-so-institutional, but not so lovely (to me) room. Laundry is drying, kettle is boiling, the rain is hitting the window. Being so busy with both working and playing, I lately haven't had any time to just be. It's really a welcome change, if just for a few hours. My final presentation and paper (both due Monday) are finished. My upcoming trip is organized as best I could (meaning I have a hostel booked for the first night and a vague plan of where I want to go. I consider this organizational feat to be quite an accomplishment). I have plans to meet my RIKEN friends tonight. This is a good day.

Kittens in Shibuya:
No, this is not the name of some kitch Tokyo bar. There really were kittens in the middle of Shibuya. Shibuya is a part of Tokyo known for its crazy nightlife, where the main intersection (featured in Lost in Translation) typically looks like this:
(picture found online; I'll post my own later when I have easy access to my photo library)

Mitya and I turn the street, and the next thing I see are these 2 small kittens huddled next to each other on the protruding sign/roof of one of the many restaurants there. One of them was sleeping while the other one was gazing out on the crazy Tokyo street, almost looking in amazement at the bustling life below their haven. The 2 scenes just didn't belong together.

It was the most amazing feeling. Hundreds of people walking by, on the way their own destinations, always busy, always on the way somewhere. No one takes notice of the little creatures. We stand there for probably close to half hour, observing the kittens clean each other, sleep next to each other, observe the Shibuya craziness from the top of their secluded home. The Shibuya craziness doesn't take any notice. Sometimes we point out the creatures to random passerbys. Some people just don't see it and probably think us crazy. Others smile briefly and go on. One guy lingered for a while, taking in the scene. I was happy to share my "finding" with others; yet, this moment was so much my own, no other passerbys could take it away.

Yokohama fireworks
During Mitya's last night in Japan, we decided to go to Yokohama (which is only about 1.5 hours from where I live in Wakoshi; compared to the standard 1 hour it takes me to get anywhere in Tokyo, it doesn't seem to be much further. Everything about that evening was perfect. And even more perfect were the fireworks we happened to see, just for 1 moment. I should preface this by saying that there lots of fireworks in Japan in the summer, and most last 1.5-2 hours. Which is a LONG time to watch sparkles go up in the sky. These fireworks were different in that way; at least the glimpse we saw: We were walking along the bay, watching some teenagers play with sparklers, watching huge ships docked in the port, when all of a sudden I hear something, turn around, and for about 30 seconds watch the sky fill with the most amazing colorful fireworks that fill the entire sky. We watch in amazement, and before I know it, it's over; you are left with a feeling of catching a glimpse of something beautiful, completely by accident. A perfect fireworks show, if you ask me.

No comments: