Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Homesick? Go to yoga!

One of the girls in my lab is a yoga instructor and also takes yoga classes from time to time. Tonight I went with her to a yoga class, taught by an American woman (who speaks what sounds to me like fluent Japanese and whose husband is Japanese).

The class was taught mostly in English, and at one point I completely forgot where I was; but a quick glance at the highrises out of a small window in the studio reminded me that I was in the center of Tokyo. With the exception of an occasional Japanese phrase and the abundance of Japanese women in the studio, the class was identical to the classes I took in Boulder. Same incense aroma, same colorful mats on the floor.

I'm happy to be in Japan, and not feeling homesick anymore (or yet?). But should the feeling arise here or in any other foreign country, I now know that a yoga class is a great remedy.

No comments: